Monday, November 21, 2011

After the Storm...


It's been quite a while since I wrote a blog, so I'm back on it! Still doing well. I did have a couple of weeks of not too much working out in the last month or so. We had a major snowstorm just before Halloween, which wiped out pretty much the whole state of CT. I was outside shoveling during the storm and I could hear tree after tree snapping apart. It was the freakiest thing! I kept thinking that is was the Smoke Monster from Lost...but I digress. Something like 830,000 homes were without power, which was crazy.

In any case after the storm and getting out to a conference, it was quite a challenge to get back into the regular routine of working out. I wish I could have worked out during all of that, but there just wasn't any way to make it happen because I was too busy helping take care of fallen trees, gathering firewood to keep the house warm and getting things done while there was still sunlight. It's amazing how much we take for granted with the technology that we have. In any case, I've been working out pretty steadily the last couple of weeks again, and after weighing myself yesterday, I managed to somehow drop another pound! I am down 25 lbs total so far! How cool is that! I'm doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid...made up my own schedule. I think it's better than the one that they offer on teambeachbody.com to be honest. I'm rather proud of it, especially since I came up with it before they made their own. If you want a copy of it, just contact me. I'll be happy to share it. Either way, I'm building muscle, losing weight (slower, but still losing it), and definitely seeing some good differences in how my body looks. Will post new pictures soon!

So, how has this helped me understand my mind-body-connection? Since the summer, I've been working out consistently, and I have felt much, much more in balance and in harmony with what is around me. After stopping workouts for about two weeks, I noticed that I was way more inclined to eat foods that are not good for me, I felt more stressed, and I was not as happy as usual. It's just that simple. Moving the body is very much at the root of being balanced. I need to continually push my body and truly challenge it to feel more balanced and more connected to what is around me. In a way, it's like I'm able to beat up my ego a little bit to a point where I can feel more rooted and centered. It was an inadvertent little experiment, but an important existential one for me nonetheless!

P90X, Insanity and lots more at: http://www.beachbodycoach.com/drkurtlove

No comments:

Post a Comment