Monday, November 21, 2011

Why I Don't Go To the Gym

Treadmills, ellipticals, and stairmasters...oh my!

This may be the only thing that I like about treadmills:


So, I need to explain the following sentence more clearly, but I find it necessary to start with it because it's liberating: Going to a gym sucks the life out of me. There I said it. The machines, oh, the machines. The fluorescent lights. The bank of silent televisions forever on CNN, Fox News, and a channel that I can seem to ever figure out what it is. Ever try working out with Fox News on? Like I need another reason to be frustrated with the way things are. So, now I'm aggravated at the arrogance allowed on national television AND I have to lose some weight. How is this helpful at all? Treadmills are easily the most obvious form of self-torture. Do I really need Fox News at that moment in my life?

After about 14 years of going to the gym, paying their membership fees, dealing with lots of naked middle aged men in the locker room, and grunting, sweaty men, I left my plastic barcode keyring thingy behind and started with P90X. Here's what I found...1) I finally had a structure that worked! My body was finally changing for the better, something that I was never really that successful with in gyms, 2) I had more time now that I was working out at home...workouts went from 1.5-2 hours at the gym with travel time to 45-60 minutes, and 3) I was SAVING MONEY because I wasn't paying for gym memberships. I did pick up some free weights and a pull up bar for the doorway, but even after doing all that, I was still saving money. I could play my own music, take a shower without a middle-aged hairy guy near me, and get actual results. Seriously...why does anyone subject themselves to gyms?

That said, I know that many still do go to the gym even though they are doing P90X or another Beachbody fitness program. If that's what you're into, enjoy! I know there are cool things at some gyms like a pool, hot tub, and racquetball court. But, the structure is really the most important thing. You need muscle confusion, and once I had that solidly present in my workout schedule, I was in good shape...literally. For most of us, it's hard to really get that kind of knowledge and free support at gyms. P90X was sooooo good for me. It really worked. Looking forward to P90X2!!



As always, you can order P90X, P90X2, and much more right here! http://www.beachbodycoach.com/drkurtlove

No comments:

Post a Comment